Technology in the Classroom - Less is More
the motion picture is destined to revolutionize our
and that in a few years it will supplant largely, if not entirely, the use of textbooks…
I should say that on the average, we get about two percent efficiency out of schoolbooks
as they are written today. The education of the future, as I see it, will be conducted through
the medium of the motion picture... where it should be possible to achieve one hundred
(Guess who? 1922)
teaching comes from mastery of a subject, clear communication,
planning, and a sense of humor. Using technology will not make you a better a teacher except
in how it improves these aspects.
- Web Sites Convenient access, Easy Updates and Corrections, Saves Paper.
- Your Own Site on Google: Free, Convenient and Easy. Photo-sharing, and many other features. SASSDS example
- Google Groups: Free, -- allows public moderated postings. SASSDS Tech Group
- Survey Monkey: Automated Free Online Surveying Tool -- or Fun and Practical Use: (weekly puzzle, voting, getting to know you, etc.)
Understanding 21st century Social Structure
Social Networking - The Communication Revolution
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Email, AIM, Cell Phones: Virtual Friendship. Virtual Groups. Powerful tools with addictive tendencies. Dangers of "passive" relationships.
- Wikis - A wiki is a kind of computer software that allows users to create, edit, and link web pages easily. Wikis in Education
- Tiger's Mouth: A model wiki for kids to socialize and learn to play Go.
- Real World Connections through the Internet - Examples
Mathematics: Math Nerds
Foreign Languages: LeMonde
Use software to simulate a real world or real life situation.
Use software to build intuition and experiment.
Mathematics: Monty Hall I Monty Hall II
History: Do History
Government: Resurrect Thomas Jefferson
- Visual Dynamic Presentations Beyond Books - Examples
A Picture is Worth 1000
Words; an Interactive Picture even more.
Computer Science: Sorting
Mathematics: Pythagoras' Theorem I Pythagoras' Theorem II
Science: Hurricane Tracking
Literature: Mark Twain Controversy
Music (Utube): A coloratura soprano is a type of soprano who specializes in music that is distinguished by agile runs and leaps.
Queen of the Night (Aria starts 2:15 into the scene)
Shining Happy People (Great for kids and adults of all ages)
Jeopardy Template - Make your own game
Ready to Use Jeopardy Games
Ready to Use "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and "Hollywood Squares" Games
Thanks to Ralph Bravaco for helpful discussions and resources